Hello! It’s been a while (a couple of days really) since I’ve last updated this blog and I’m sorry to confess that the inactivity is going to get a lot worse because… school starts back this Thursday for me!
Which also means the summer is almost officially over therefore I thought it’d be appropriate for me to post yet another long overdue post, the Summertime Madness Tag. (Yes, I also decided to post this now lest this be done next summer which would have been way way overdue.) I was tagged by Carolyn to participate. She’s a fellow Vietnamese-American blogger on WP and secretly-ish we’ve been doing a buddy read and reading A Darker Shade of Magic. We both finished it
yesterday (8/18/15: well I finished it today actually) and it was such a fantastic story. So be on the lookout for some ADSoM posts in the near future (yeah… I know, I promised a Summer Says post this week but yeah, that’ll come soon too, I hope)!
Gosh, I haven’t even started the tag yet and I’ve already used four parenthetical phrases. I’m so done. Alright, let’s get on to this before I add any more…
1. Show a book with a Summery cover! i.e Sun, Beach etc.
Haha, so when I first saw this I was like “what is a summary cover?” /facepalm/ Anyways… honestly, so many ya contemporary titles like That Summer and Someone Like You (both by Sarah Dessen) and books that had themes like Before I Fall came to mind. But I was like “nah, let me feature a famous local author” and chose The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy, a pretty influential and famous author in Southern literature and is actually from South Carolina. The cover isn’t as summer-y just because the colors are more faded and glum but it works, right
2. Pick one fictional place that would be the perfect destination for your Summer Vacation!I chose this one for a number of reasns. A) I’ve mentioned countless of times that The Truth About Forever and Just Listen are Dessen fan favorites, but I don’t give Along For the Ride enough spotlight. B) Auden in AftR is the most relatable fictional character, for me that is. Our personalities are very similar. C) (and the actual answer to this question/challenge) It’s set in a fictional beach town called Colby, which is based off of Emereld Isle, NC, which obviously isn’t far from SC.
3. You’re about to go on a flight to your Summer Vacation. But you want to read a book that lasts for the whole flight so what novella do you choose?
I don’t often go on vacation, so I have this grand plan that once I graduate college I’ll go travel somewhere (like Ireland or Vietnam, both ideal, dream destinations of mine). And on that plane ride I’d pick Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling because I actually watched the Harvard 2008 commencement speech when I was in high school (I watched a lot of them in my senior year since one of my close friends really loved watching them, thanks to him I also saw this one) and thought Queen Rowling was cooler than ever. Plus, I’d much rather read this than some random novella, The Casual Vacancy, or The Cuckoo’s Calling. This essay is said to be wonderfully moving and inspirational and, let’s face it, I don’t think I’ll ever pick upRowling’s non-HP books lest I be disappointed.
4. You have a case of Summertime Sadness what happy book
do you pick up to shine a smile on your face?
I feel pretty ashamed to say I have not read this yet after participating in the MHTN tag and mentioning a good many times that I was so excited for it… I’m sure there are some heart wrenching moments in this but it’s called More Happy Than Not so there must be some good moments too, right?
5. You’re sitting at the beach all alone…which fictional character would be your beach babe?
Jem. Okay, so this may seem like such an outlandish decision… because Will seems to be the person everyone chooses (don’t read too much into that if you haven’t read TID). I’ve only had three fictional romances if you will. Wes (The Truth About Forever) was my first fictional crush. Jace (The Mortal Instruments series) was my first fictional boyfriend but then we kind of broke up when I met Jem (The Infernal Device trilogy). LOL. So yeah, I’d pick Jem Carsairs because he’s kind, selfless, and near-perfect.
6. To match your ice cream you want an icy cool sidekick! Which fictional sidekick do you pick?
When I think of best friend I think of Simon (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda). When I think of cool character I want to get to know better I think of Annabeth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series). When I think of a sidekick I think of STURMHOND (The Grisha trilogy), because he’s clever and I know his witty remarks will never let me down.
7. Share the Summertime Happiness! Who do you TAG?
I tried my best to tag bloggers I’ve recalled to never have done this yet.
- Aentee at Read at Midnight
- Ashley at Dreamingthroughliterature
- Bhramori at Thecrazyperfectionist
- Bri at Find Me at the Library
- Chooi at Read, Think, Ponder
- Cristina at My Tiny Obsessions
- Erika at Erika in Bookventureland
- Joey at Thoughts and Afterthoughts
- Kelly at Dancing through the Pages
- Lauren at SERIESous Book Reviews
- Poulami at Daydreaming Books
- Shelumiel at Bookish and Awesome
- Shotobhisha at Confessions of a Bibliophile
- Thuong at I Read Therefore I Am
- Trey at Trey Schnarr Books
- Trisha Ann at The Bookgasm
- Zezee at Zezee with Books
Of course, feel free to ignore this tag if you’ve already done it or aren’t feeling up to participating. I won’t be offended in any way. (I know how monstrous these tags can pile up to be.)
Thanks for reading! Until next time! 🙂